Friday 14 January 2011

Lemon juice in a bottle


I normally detest using lemon juice from a bottle, but a month ago I caved and bought one as lemons this time of year are small not in season and tend to go off quickly. I still buy fresh lemons every time I do my one month shop as my husband has a love of homemade lemon drizzle cake and I need the zest so it will taste lemony.(the recipe does not call for lemon zest in the batter which is criminal) I mostly use the bottle of juice for things like cake icing.To bake chicken in the oven when we are nearly out of food and my husband refuses to go shopping yet still moans over what he is being fed. I use it in a dressing to put on cous cous I mix equal parts of oil to the lemon juice put in any dried herbs I like (I let it sit while the cous cous steams so 15-30 minutes if I'm not starving) a bit of english mustard as well and it is very tasty.
It is also handy for when I make a whole roast chicken I do a bit of lemon,thyme and oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil. I am still prefecting it as I still sometimes use too much oil but when I get the right about of lemon you get the crispy lemony skin and it is very nice. I really can't think of anything else I could use lemons for if I had readers I would ask for what you use it for, I am in a major cooking rut and at the moment all i have to eat is a pack of chicken and frozen green beans and potatoes oh and beef mince and frozen left over dinners. So hopefully my husband will cave when he has been getting frozen green beans every night for a week and take me shopping for some food stuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment