Wednesday 14 September 2011

Uses for leftovers No.1: Quiche

Last week I was making a pasta bake for dinner and I used a bacon joint and cubed it up and fried it to toss into the pasta. I noticed that I had fried up too much and was left with quite a bit of excess gammon cubes. I remembered that I had bought pastry the last time I went shopping so I got that out of the freezer and let it do its thing. So the next day I knew we were gonna be busy I woke up went downstairs and made a couple of pastry cases. While they were in the oven baking I cracked 3 eggs into a measuring cup and added in milk till it got to the 1/2 cup line on the cup. I then chopped up my gammon cubes a bit more and tossed them in the eggs, then I used a fine cheese grater to get some cheddar cheese into the mixture then finely chopped a spring onion and tossed that in as well. I then seasoned this egg mix with a bit of salt (gammon is already salty so don't add a lot) and I think I added a bit of dried oregano but you can add whatever you like.

When the pastry cases were done cooking I let them cool for about 20 minutes and then added my egg mix to the cases about halfway up. (this was tricky on my end as I was not using a very shallow dish so the quiches weren't very full) then I put back into the oven till they looked a bit golden brown and puffed up a bit. Then I just took em out to cool and cut into wedges and they were ready to eat. My husband even took the second one on a road trip with him.

So making a quiche wasn't as hard as I thought and I will totally be making em again. I figure you can put in most leftover veggies into em so that is a plus. That is all I have for today I may post about this bread mix I used today, but I already cut into it and didn't take a picture of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment